Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

How hard to cross a road in Ho Chi Minh city

Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City is a city full of motorcycles. Being the main mode of transport, motorcycles seem to be the king of the road. City people uses motorcycle everyday to go to work. 

As seen, there are many motorcyclists on the road in Ho Chi Minh City.

I found it is difficult to cross the road. Saigon's left hand drive means when you cross a road you have to look at the left and then rightt. If there is no traffic, you cross. 

In Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), few places have traffic light crossings. Some have zebra crossing but there is no light to stop the motorists. In this situation, you are on your own. If you got the courage, you cross. If not, you wait until there is less traffic.  I did not come across any overhead pedestrian bridge in this city centre.


Wow, motorcycles every where.....



Even at night, the motor cyclists are still on the road.


Quite a confusing state..which direction?


Endless flow of traffic at the city centre made crossing difficult. This is right in front of the Ben Thanh market.

When there is endless flow of traffic and they do not give you chance to cross, you can still cross the road at your own risk. My experience is that I used my map to wave to the motorists indicating I am crossing the road. When they saw me flagging my map, they slow down.  Then I quickly walked past to the other side of the road. 

I escaped being knocked by motorists at least three times simply because I look at the right first. I did not realized that motorists come from my left. The wider the road, the bigger the challenge to cross the road.

Next time when you are in Ho Chi Minh City, beware of the traffic. Do not endanger yourself when you cross the road. Happy travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment